When it comes to cosmetics, dermal fillers can provide an effective solution for many different facial concerns. Whether you’re addressing fine lines and wrinkles, loss of volume, or contour deficiencies, these injectable fillers can provide noticeable enhancements.
While the treatments are simple, non-invasive, and come with little downtime, the period following treatment is important for getting the best results. By following a post-filler routine, you can have a smooth recovery and promote the longevity and quality of your results.
At Ferrer Monaghan Vein & Aesthetic Center in Ithaca, NY, we want you to get the most out of every treatment with us. We can give you detailed instructions for what to do after your treatment and provide you with all of the support you need along the way.
What Are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are a type of minimally invasive aesthetic treatment used to add volume, alter the contours of the face, and fill in wrinkles. These gels, often made up of hyaluronic acid, are carefully injected beneath the skin’s surface. At Ferrer & Monaghan Vein & Aesthetic Center, we offer a diverse selection of injectable fillers, including JUVÉDERM® and Restylane®, as well as biostimulators such as Radiesse® and Sculptra®. Each filler type has its unique properties and uses tailored to address various patient needs and facial areas.
Different Types of Dermal Fillers
The two main types of volumizing injectables are hyaluronic acid (HA) dermal fillers and biostimulators like Sculptra and Radiesse. Hyaluronic acid fillers contain a synthetic but biocompatible gel that mimics your body’s own natural HA. When injected, it fills in areas that have become lined and wrinkled or have lost volume due to lost fat pads, loss of collagen, and natural aging.
Biostimulators prompt a reaction in your body that causes additional collagen and elastin to be produced in the injection area. The result is increased volume and improved facial contouring. Some injectables such as Sculptra provide gradual but significant improvement in the area over time, while others such as Radiesse provide instant results with additional long-term benefits.
Where Can Dermal Fillers Be Used?
- Cheeks: Facial fillers can be used to restore lost volume, provide a lift, or enhance contours.
- Nasolabial Folds: These are the lines that run from the corners of the nose to the corners of the mouth. Injectables can smooth out these folds.
- Lips: Fillers can be used to add volume, enhance shape, or define the borders of the lips.
- Marionette Lines: The lines that run from the corners of the mouth to the chin can be filled to provide a smoother appearance.
- Under-Eyes: Certain products can help to address hollows or dark circles under the eyes.
- Jawline: Fillers can be used to sculpt and define the jawline.
- Chin: These products can improve the chin’s projection and shape.
Preparing for Your Filler Treatment
Preparing adequately for your treatment can enhance your dermal filler recovery and results. Prior to your treatment, you should avoid certain medications and supplements such as aspirin, ibuprofen, and vitamin E, which can increase the risk of bruising or bleeding. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can also support recovery. You should always discuss your expectations, medical history, and any concerns with your treatment provider to ensure a successful outcome.
Post-Filler Dos for a Smooth Recovery
- DO Maintain Hydration: Drinking plenty of water can aid in the healing process and keep the skin looking its best. Hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers draw water to the area, so staying hydrated can enhance the volumizing effect.
- DO Use a Cold Compress: Mild swelling or bruising is common after receiving injectable fillers. Applying a cold compress to the affected area can help soothe the area.
- DO Follow Aftercare Instructions: Your provider will give you a list of specific aftercare instructions. Adhering to these recommendations can promote a smooth dermal filler recovery and optimal results.
- DO Avoid Strenuous Activity: For at least 24 hours post-treatment, avoid strenuous activities and exercises that can increase blood flow to the face and potentially exacerbate swelling or bruising.
- DO Contact Your Doctor: If you have any questions or concerns throughout the recovery process, don’t hesitate to contact us!
Post-Filler Don’ts for a Smooth Recovery
- DON’T Touch the Treated Area: Resist the urge to touch, rub, or apply pressure to the treated areas. Excessive touching can disrupt the placement of the injectable fillers.
- DON’T Consume Alcohol: Alcohol can increase the risk of swelling, bruising, and bleeding. It’s best to avoid alcohol consumption for at least 24 hours after your treatment.
- DON’T Expose to Extreme Temperatures: Avoid extreme temperatures such as excessive heat from saunas, hot tubs, and tanning beds, or intense cold.
- DON’T Apply Makeup Immediately: Wait for at least 12 hours, or as directed by your doctor, before applying makeup to the treated area to avoid irritation.
How Long Do Dermal Filllers Last?
The longevity of facial fillers can depend on several factors, including the type of filler used, the area of treatment, and individual metabolic rates. Generally, hyaluronic acid cosmetic fillers like JUVÉDERM and Restylane can last between six months and a year while biostimulators like Radiesse and Sculptra can last up to two years or more. Remember, maintenance treatments are key to sustaining your desired results.
Comprehensive Dermal Filler Options in Ithaca, NY
Making the decision to enhance your appearance with dermal fillers is a significant step towards a refreshed and revitalized look. At Ferrer & Monaghan Vein & Aesthetic Center in Ithaca, NY, we are committed to providing you with comprehensive care and guidance throughout your treatment process. If you’re ready to explore what fillers can do for you, contact us at (607) 499-4582 or fill out our online form to request an appointment with our expert providers today.